Last week, the iOS-people received their update packed with cool new features. (They also received a bug-fix update shortly after)
- Push notifications are live for iOS users. Users will be notified when Xur the Almighty arrives and when voting for Guardian Wishlist is open. Sorry this took a long time to implement; however the push notification system of iOS is nuts compared to Android.
- In-app Purchases: You might be wondering what possible could be bought within Where is Xur? Well, the freedom not to see ads for a lifetime of course. The option to pay for removing ads was frequently being asked by users; so I decided to implement it. To remove ads just go to the “Preferences” and follow the instructions. Please note that this is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Where is Xur? is still FREE to use – just like you are used to.
What is Next?
Now that iOS is out of the way and put to rest; it is time to focus on the beloved Android. Although I won’t be able to work on the new version of Android until the 3rd week of June; here are the first things to change / implement:
- Android client is receiving notifications only when Xur arrives. Why not when voting is open?
- In-app Purchases: Android users also asked for the ability to remove ads -like a lot! After I sort some bureaucratic stuff with Uncle Google; I will be implementing this feature for Android, too.
- I also aim to increase the stability of the app for the latest Android version. Android 6 or M. (aka Marshmallow)
And What is Next after “What is Next”?
I always wanted to make Guardian Wishlist more engaging. However that would take a good amount of time. I will have that time this summer and I will work on Guardian Wishlist to make it even more fun. On the top of my head; there is the social-media sharing feature. As of now; you can vote and see the most voted items of the week. You cannot see the list of the items you voted for this week. The first step will be to be able to see what you voted for this week. The natural next step will be sharing this glorious list of yours on the social media of your choice.
Who knows; we can even incorporate some gamification mechanism and let people earn points for correctly guessing what Xur will bring on a particular week(end).
Just keep your auto-update for Where is Xur? open.